TASTING ROOM HISTORY
The property has a storied history.
Owned by the family of Judith Evert Dale, her parents, Loren and Lillian Evert purchased it in 1954 along with the land where the Hitching Post 2 sits. Loren, a commercial dahlia bulb farmer, built their home in Anaheim. When they moved to Buellton, he tore the house down board by board and relocated it by truck in 23 loads to The Hitching Post 2 location. The lumber stood in a pile by the barn until he built it into the building that exists today. Daughter Judith was born in Anaheim and was raised in the home that is now the tasting room.
The Everts operated The Hitching Post 2 building as a gift shop and produce stand in the 1950s. Next door to The Hitching Post 2, her father built another building to serve as a nursery – Evert’s Rainbow Ranch – designed to be a twin to the original building.
Due to the growth of Vandenberg Air Force Base and the influx of homes built in nearby Lompoc, there was a necessity for businesses that young families could turn to when setting up their new homes in the Santa Ynez Valley. This building is now Santa Barbara Airstream next to The Hitching Post 2.